- Mediator, Court of Special Appeals, State of Maryland, Pilot Appellate Mediation Program
- Associate Judge, Baltimore City Circuit Court, 8th Judicial Circuit (including periods of time as Judge-in-Charge of the Civil Division and Asbestos Docket)
- Associate Judge, District Court of Maryland, Baltimore City, District 1 (including period of time as Judge-in-Charge of Eastside District Court)
- Principal, Law Offices of Carol E. Smith, Baltimore, Maryland
- Partner, Matricciani & Smith, Baltimore, Maryland
- Chief Attorney, Mental Health Law Project, Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.
- Chief Attorney, Housing Law Center, Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.
- Staff Attorney, Housing Law Center, Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.
- Staff Attorney, Domestic Law Center, Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.
- J.D., The Catholic University of America School of Law
- B.A., College of Notre Dame of Maryland ADR Training:
- 40-hour Civil Mediation Training Course, Judicial Institute of Maryland
- Various Continuing Education Courses on Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Presenter, “Medical Malpractice Alternative Dispute Resolution,” Maryland Defense Council, Inc., and Joint Annual Conference for MACRO, Anne Arundel Community College, and the District Court of Maryland
Affiliations and Awards:
- Past President, Maryland Chapter, National Association of Women Judges
- Faculty, Maryland Institute for the Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Faculty, Judicial Institute of Maryland - Member, Maryland Judicial Conference: Data Definitions Steering Committee, Medical Malpractice Alternative Dispute Resolution Subcommittee, and Recalled/Retired
- Member, Lawyers’ Round Table Law Club - Member, Maryland State Bar Association, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections
- Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation - Member, Women’s Law Center of Maryland
- Member, Bar Association of Baltimore City - Past Member, Board of Trustees, The Bryn Mawr School - Member, Board of Trustees, The Mount Saint Agnes Theological Center for Women
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, Mercy High School - Past Member, Board of Directors, Library Company of the Baltimore Bar
- Past Member, Advisory Board, Mercy Medical Center, Women’s Center for Health and Medicine
- Founder, Girl Scouts Beyond Bars - Recipient, Board of Directors Award, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland, 1994 - Recipient, Innovative Program Award, National Conference of Juvenile and Family Court Judges,
- Recipient, Justice Award, Alternative Directions, 2006
- Member, “Maryland’s Top 100 Women,” Daily Record, 2001, 2004, 2007 (Circle of Excellence)
- Maryland Leadership in Law Award, Daily Record, 2005
- Bar Leader Award, Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, 2009